The Filterra® System is a high-flow biofiltration / bioretention technology. It has been optimised for high volume/flow treatment and high pollutant removal. Its small footprint allows it to be used on highly developed sites such as landscaped areas, parking lots and streetscapes.
Stormwater runoff enters the Filterra System through an inlet and flows through the specially designed filter media prior to discharging to waterways.
The filter media captures and immobilises pollutants; those pollutants are then decomposed, volatilised and incorporated into the biomass of the Filterra system’s micro/macro flora and fauna. Stormwater runoff flows through the media and into an underdrain manifold at the bottom of the system.
How Filterra Works
Stormwater runoff enters the Filterra system through a kerb-inlet opening or pipe and flows through a specially designed filter media mixture contained in a landscaped concrete container. The filter media captures and immobilises pollutants; those pollutants are then decomposed, volatilised and incorporated into the biomass of the Filterra system’s micro/macro flora and fauna. Stormwater runoff flows through the media and into an underdrain system at the bottom of the container, where the treated water is discharged.
- High media flow rate (up to 3550mm/hr)
- Filterra offers the most cost-effective stormwater treatment system featuring low cost, easy installation and simple maintenance
- Landscaping enhances the appearance of your site, making it more attractive while removing pollutants
- Available in multiple configurations and sizes
- No confined space access and the first year of maintenance is included with the purchase of every system
- Reduced footprint compared with traditional bioretention
- Adds aesthetic appeal to your site
- Flexibility to meet site-specific needs
- Simple and easy maintenance
Configurations and Applications
- Filterra Bioscape
- Custom Configurations
- WSUD, Green Infrastructure and Environmental Site Design
- High pollutant removal requirements
- New construction and urban retrofits
- Pretreatment for above-ground or shallow below-ground storage
- Shallow, decentralised treatment
Filterra Media - Proven Pollutant Removal
At the heart of all Filterra systems is Filterra engineered bio-filtration media; a specified gradation of washed aggregate and organic material homogeneously blended under strict quality-controlled conditions. The filter media has been optimised to operate under high flow rates (up to 3550mm/hour) while maintaining pollutant removal performance. Filterra media is tested for hydraulic functionality, fertility and particle size distribution to ensure uniform performance.
Installation and Maintenance
We make it easy for you…
- Vegetation selection guidance based on your climate zone
- On-site planting and activation included with every system
- The first year of maintenance is included with the purchase of every system
- Ongoing maintenance is simple
- Clean biofiltration bay with simple landscape tools (rake and shovel)
- No confined space entry required
- Everything can be accessed from the surface