This revolutionary stormwater quality device is the latest in filtration technology and uses gravity, flow rotation and up-flow membrane filtration to provide stormwater treatment in a compact underground system.
The Jellyfish® filter utilises unique filtration cartridges, that have a large membrane surface area, resulting in high pollutant removal capacities and high flow rates.
Each filter cartridge has a number of ‘tentacles’ that catch and remove floatables, litter, oil, debris, TSS, silt-sized particles (as small as 2 microns) and a high percentage of particulate-bound pollutants; including phosphorus, nitrogen, metals and hydrocarbons.
The Jellyfish® filter has a much smaller footprint than other best-management practices (BMPs), which can offer greater design flexibility.
How the Jellyfish Filter Treats Stormwater
- Stormwater enters the Jellyfish through the inlet pipe, builds driving head, and traps floating pollutants behind the maintenance access wall and below the cartridge deck
- The upstream diversion pit produces driving head which pushes the stormwater below the cartridge deck where a separation skirt around the cartridges isolates oil, litter and debris outside the filtration zone, allowing sand-sized particles to settle in the sump
- The driving head causes the water to enter the filtration zone and up through the top of the cartridge into the backwash pool. Once the water has filled the backwash pool, clean water overflows where it exits via the outlet pipe
- The membrane filters provide a very large surface area to effectively remove fine sand and silt-sized particles, and a high percentage of pollutants such as nitrogen, phosphorus, metals, and hydrocarbons while ensuring long-lasting treatment
- As influent flow subsides, the filtered water in the backwash pool flows back through the high flow membrane cartridges into the lower chamber. This passive backwash extends cartridge life, keeping the membrane clean for future events
- The drain down cartridge(s) located outside the backwash pool enables water levels to balance
Features and Benefits
- Large surface area membrane filtration
- High design treatment flow rate per cartridge (up to 5L/s)
- Low driving head (typically 460mm)
- Lightweight cartridges with passive backwash
- Low flux rate promotes cake filtration and reduces occlusion
- Compact system with a small footprint, lower construction cost
- Design flexibility, lower construction cost
- Easy maintenance and low life-cycle cost
Configurations and Applications
The Jellyfish Filter is available in a variety of configurations: pre-cast manholes and vaults, custom tanks or insitu configurations. The system has been designed for a wide range of applications such as:
- Commercial, Industrial and Residential development, infill and redevelopment and stormwater quality retrofit applications
- Special projects: Highways, airports and military installations
- Pre-treatment for Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD), infiltration and rainwater harvesting and reuse systems
- Jellyfish Filter cartridges are light weight, easy to use and reusable
- Maintenance of the filter cartridges is performed by removing, rinsing and reusing the cartridge tentacles
- Vacuum extraction of captured pollutants in the sump is recommended at the same time
- Full cartridge replacement intervals differ by site due to varying pollutant loading and type. Cartridge replacement is anticipated every 2-5 years